Can you think back to the time in your life when you used to wear jeans without spandex or lycra in them? 100% cotton, no stretch! I couldn’t remember what no stretch denim felt like until I put these Original Levi’s 501 Skinny Jeans on. And then the familiar feeling came back to me. Like the smell of crayons reminds you of childhood, the stiff fabric against my skin transported me right back to high school.
These jeans are decidedly different from the stretchy soft denim fabric we have all become accustomed to. And there’s something to be said about jeans that feel like leggings and that are so comfortable, you can lounge around the house in them all day. The Levi’s 501 Skinny Jeans are not them. Then what’s the attraction? I have listed the pros and cons to non-stretch denim below so you can decide for yourself if it’s worth the investment.
1. 100% cotton fabric is stiff and restricting. It doesn’t stretch out when you move or when you sit down. However, it does loosen with time.
2. The jeans are thick and I can’t imagine wearing them in the summer. I’m the type of person who doesn’t like to wear even lightweight denim in the summer so I’m definitely going to be putting these away when it gets hot.
3. This particular style is high waisted which might be a con for some people but not me. Read my other post on high waisted jeans.
1. Because this denim has no stretch, you will not experience the dreaded slouching and sliding down that happens with stretchy jeans. You will never have to pull these up. They stay put on your body and only feel better the more you wear them, not stretched out and baggy.
2. I love the button fly on this particular pair. It gives the jeans that cool 90’s grunge look. I might just be nostalgic about my teens but I think it has such an awesome vintage vibe.
3. Maybe it’s the stiffness of the material or the design but the Levi’s 501 Skinny Jeans are very flattering to the rear end. No flattening happening here and I will take all the help I can get in that department.
4. This Skinny version is a more updated and universally flattering style. Unlike the Original 501’s which have a high waist and a tapered leg, a.k.a. “mom jeans.”