Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Thanksgiving is about family and loved ones getting together to enjoy delicious food around the table. It is not fussy and pretentious – at least not in my house. See how I put together this easy Thanksgiving table setting together to save time and money!
Easy Thanksgiving table setting basics
You want things to be simple and stress-free during the holidays. Spending a fortune on something you use once a year is not the way to do it.
I’ll explain why I choose versatile everyday pieces and how to create a beautiful table setting without going overboard. All of the items I have are casual everyday pieces that can also be used in a more formal setting.
- Neutral tablecloth– it can be hard to find a round tablecloth that is large enough for my 71″ diameter table. This tablecloth is 108″ diameter. It provides the perfect neutral backdrop for our easy Thanksgiving table setting. It has the texture of linen but is stain-resistant and easily washable.
- Casual dinnerware – these are the dishes we use on a daily basis. They are pretty and will do the job. There is no need to take out the fine China and fuss over it or hand wash it at the end of the night. Plus, I don’t have to find a place to store a whole set of special dinnerware.
- Neutral chargers – another neutral piece that can be used for any occasion – casual or festive. The wood charges protect your table from the heat of the dishes.
I chose neutral colors and patterns in order to make them as versatile as possible.
How to make casual table settings more festive
Now that you have your neutral everyday elements, it’s time to find ways to make it more festive for Thanksgiving!
I have always preferred a neutral color scheme. But this year I added more texture and warmth for the holiday. Here is what I used to do just that:
- Patterned napkins – using printed napkins in the colors of the fall season is an easy way to set the holiday mood.
- Gold utensils – because we don’t use these every day, gold utensils make this Thanksgiving table setting look more special and festive. They are inexpensive and can elevate your everyday meals if you choose!
- Fancy glasses – these coupe glasses are meant for champagne but I like to use them for any cocktail or drink, even if it’s water, to make the event feel fancy and special
Special Thanksgiving serveware
You can certainly use serving dishes that match your plates. But if you want to splurge and make Thanksgiving extra special, add some turkey day-themed serving pieces to your lineup.
This centerpiece is probably what makes the whole table setting. It is so dramatic because of its scale but it was absolutely FREE because I foraged the branches from my backyard.
Before you spend money on a Thanksgiving centerpiece, take a peek outside to look for pretty fall colors you can use to decorate inside!
Affordable Thanksgiving table decorations
Thanksgiving is a special occasion, but that doesn’t mean you have to get expensive place settings or fancy tabletop decor.
When I want a Thanksgiving centerpiece on the smaller side, I shop in my decor closet and find just the right pieces. Here are some ideas for things you can use to decorate your Thanksgiving table.